LL.B, Victoria University of Wellington
MA (first class honours), Massey University
LL.M (first class honours), University of Cambridge
1994 New Zealand
2016 List of Counsel, International Criminal Court
Direct phone: +64 4 914 1053
Mobile phone: +64 21 187 4595
Fax:+64 4 473 3179
Over 19 years of experience as in-house counsel. Since joining the independent bar in 2014, I have accepted instructions in a range of civil and criminal litigation at trial and appellate level, including employment, health and safety, commercial and public law matters. I have conducted a number of investigations and am qualified for appointment as a special advocate.
Expertise in New Zealand and international law as it pertains to maritime activities, ranging from fisheries enforcement and offshore mineral resource exploitation through to the application of the Maritime Transport Act 1994, the associated Maritime Rules and IMO conventions in novel and complex situations.
Expertise in international and domestic aviation law. I have spoken at international conferences in this area and have been commissioned by Thomson Reuters to write a new leading text in the field.
Leadership role in delivering training and mentoring in maritime legal issues to officials from Pacific Island Forum countries.
Counsel assisting or reviewing counsel in major inquiries:
Prosecuting counsel in a number of Court Martial trials and matters on appeal, including cases concerning collision and grounding at sea and dangerous flying. State Prosecutor in the Republic of Vanuatu from 2014 to 2015.
Managed a substantial law reform project from 2002 to 2009, including advice to select committee and work with the Parliamentary Counsel Office on primary and subordinate legislation development
Tim Barnett MP (Hansard, 15 March 2007): “Very briefly, I want to place on record that I consider the Armed Forces Law Reform Bill to be an excellent piece of work. It has been 5 years in the making, and, reading through it this afternoon, I can see that it is very carefully structured, in terms of its presentation to members of Parliament, and covers its impact and the consultation undertaken. We as a House should recognise it as a model of its type... I place on record the contribution made by Commander Chris Griggs, the military justice review project officer, who has been working within the New Zealand Defence Force for a considerable period to produce this work. He is highly professional. This bill was obviously a labour of love as well as a labour of excellence.”
Member of the Armed Forces Defence Counsel Panel and the New Zealand Legal Panels of the Embassies of Germany and Italy.
Fluent in French and German. Working knowledge of Italian.
How can I help you or your client?
Maritime law (including fisheries and mineral resource exploitation)
- Lecturer in Aviation Law, School of Aviation, Massey University
- Member of the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (ALAANZ), presenter at 2014 annual conference in Melbourne, panel chair at 2016 annual conference in Canberra
- Presenter at December 2014 conference celebrating 70th anniversary of the Chicago Convention, co-hosted by Northwest University of Politics and Law and McGill University Institutes of Air and Space Law, in Xi'an, China
- C. Griggs “Just Culture and Accountability for Flight Safety Events in Australia and New Zealand” (2014) 79 Journal of Air Law and Commerce 441
- Member of American Society of International Law since 1993. Interest group executive role 2008 – 2011
- Peer reviewer, ICRC Commentary to the Second Geneva Convention 2016
- Member of the List of Counsel, International Criminal Court
- Significant Government legal experience, including advice to Ministers and select committees
- Specifically qualified to provide advice and representation in respect of sensitive matters in the security sector
My promise to you
You can expect superior service. I’ll be responsive, flexible, listen to your needs and provide you with reliable, quality advice and representation. I’m happy to provide you with the contact details of referees. You can find more testimonials and endorsements from clients and colleagues on LinkedIn.
I will leverage technology to ensure that you can access your file in real-time, 24/7. If you think there is a matter which I might be able to assist you with, contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) now for a confidential, free initial consultation.
Back to Barristers.Comm